12/10/11

12 Days of Tags, day8

I'm late, I'm late, I'm very very late and the gentleman are keeping watch, literally over the clock!  I have to admit that I loved Tim's Steampunk tag for day 8 . And I don't dare think about how long this one took...this is my second tag though as I tried both surfaces from the first one, working on the coloring technique.  I was so frustrated with my blending abilities that I LONGED for finding a piece of DP to use instead...however I did persevere and in the end was happy with the results.

I began working on this the day of posting, but as I didn't have the Steampunk stamp set, I used the Judikins bolio 'Music' down the left side...it has wonderful men playing insturments.  They were stamp in Adirondack SnowCap and embossed with clear.  On the right side, attempted the ghosting with a map of the globe looking down.  I think I need a much lighter hand for the coloring.  The 'Joy' was taken from Thicker stickers that I inked with VersaFine and embossed in clear several times.  It was a challenge finding letters that were the correct scale. The pen nib was created from an unmounted rubber stamp (Invoke Arts)...used UTEE on the barrel and gold micro beads for the nib.  I 'drug' a needle through it to make the ridge. The clock was from TH sticker book again, UTEE'ed and the gears placed on top.  And so this sat on my desk for two days...just not knowing what I'd do for the men...and then a quick run to M's afterwork last night to use the last of my 40% off coupons...and what do I find, but the Stampers Anonymous  TH Visual Artistry set with the STEAMpunk Men....I couldn't believe it.

So those dudes were stamped on white cs, I colored their hats with a Sakura black puff pen, stapled them to the tag so the middle guy if popped.  Added a bit of vintage German red foil as a boutonniere as well as using the whole pattern of the foil under the pen nib.  It gives the nib more presence, I think. Finishing details are the tiny pocket watch in blue, the fabulous vintage license plate (Queen's Dresser Drawers) and the measuring tape cut at 2ft5 standing in the the metal 25 Tim used.  I am quite happy with how this all came together. And I definitely learned in the process, which is the best gift, I think!

If you've got time, I'd love to hear how you are doing with the new techniques.  I enjoy all the pictures Tim posts of the process...

Blessings to you and happy weekend.

Susan

3 comments:

~amy~ said...

WOW...so many fine details Susan. Such a labor of love and patience...

Lee-Anne said...

Well Susan, this was really worth your time and effort...I LOVE IT! In fact...more than Tim's! But don't tell him that! LOL! Each and every aspect of this collage works beautifully together...way to go!

Julia Aston said...

Nice Job on your version of Tim's tag Susan! I'm getting to like these steam punk guys - as well as all the wonderful techniques we're learning from Tim! you really got all your elements to work on this GF!