12/19/11

a house needs these chairs



I've always had a fondness for chairs...ones that are functional and others that are admired for the design gathering dust upon my shelves!  When I saw the challenge issued for the Moxie Fab pot pourri  Get Inspired Week, I just knew inspiration would fly!  Isn't this little montage of the chairs, crochet and the graphic pop of the initial the coolest ever?

t


Recently I've taken to cutting chairs out of ads for future use.  So these uber hip ones in a World Market ad were just waiting for the muse. I very carefully cut the spaces between the backs so that the Basic Grey 'Oxford'  Fencing paper would show behind the chairs. I used an epoxied 'C' as a pillow. The moulding, floor 'board' and the library all are various papers from the BG 'Oxford' group.  I cut a strip of the books and stacked vertically to create a bookcase.  The vintage trim for texture as well as the waxed string along the edge of the bookcase add to the illusion of my room.  And a finishing touch,  the lovely Henry David Thoreau quote:

                                       A house needs these chairs
                                          Ones for solitude,
                                             Ones for friendship
                                           Then those for society!

I'd love to have you come visit me...I'll even let you pick YOUR favorite chair.

As a side note, just last Wednesday, my dear teenager came home from youth group with a gift for me.
They had a white elephant exchange.  Knowing I collected chairs from all eras, he truly thought he was bringing home a treasure.  It is a colonial American delight, that's for sure...just got to find the perfect closet...to hide it in! There will always be a need for a white elephant gift.  Thank you dear &d for thinking of me.



7 comments:

Carla S. said...

I love your card, Susan! As always, it's so wonderfully artistic and absolutely right on from the inspiration! Your gifted chair is fun, too!

Emily Keaton said...

Fabulous, Susan! I love your fun photo montage. I'll bet constructing that little scene was a lot of fun! Great take on the inspiration photo. So sweet that your son thought of you--even if you can't find a closet deep enough for storing it!!!

~amy~ said...

aren't you clever...fussy cutting from ads...your card is wonderful...I personally love those low comfy chairs:)

Oh now isn't your boy so sweet? I bet you could do something with that chair..seriously.

Marlena M. said...

Your cutting is so intricate! I love the bit of lace you added...a perfect scene. ;)

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Susan! Thanks for linking this up to the Pot Pourri Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Julia Aston said...

I LOVE your chair card and perfect quote sentiment for it Susan - the crocheted lace 'floor mat' beneath is perfect!

Your dear son's lovely gift is so far out it's 'in' again!

Wishing you a blessed Christmas dear friend!

nwilliams6 said...

What a fun card - I just have the most fun looking at your creations. I think that white elephant chair has possibilies. I can see a fun different finish - like sparkly gold. Cushions with a fun texture that matches the gold. How about a cool vintage white finish with some fun print. How about painting it to look like a dairy cow - I did that with a yard cart of my husband's and it turned out soooo cute. I think you could turn this into something really fun. TFS!!!! Merry Christmas Susan - Hugz!