11/6/10

Beauty is...

This card was selected as a Trigger Target winner for 'A Study in Blue' on Moxie Fab World
Blue is a difficult color for me. But lately, I've found myself drawn to it in the clothes I wear. So when this weeks' Tuesday Trigger' over on Moxie Fab World was a Study in Blue color challenge, I just had to experiment with hues of blues. As most of the accessories were fashion, I thought this amazing 'Fountains of Women' image from B Line Designs would be perfect.

This Week\

The image was stamped directly to the Brazzil linen paper with Memento Tuxedo Black. I colored the women with Copics. The boardwalk from Art Impressions, was inked with Tim Holtz DI Pumice Stone ink masking the women before I applied the image. I went back with several black pens of different widths to color the boards. Perhaps you can notice the top of the blue dress has a damask texture applied to it. (Basic Grey Vagabond papers). Her pumps are beaded with Martha's Lapis Lazuli glass beads. I cut and popped the dress to add dimension.
The undergarments were stamped on blue velum. And the nude's tattoo is part of the Beauty is soul deep sentiment from B Lines Design. I inked the tattoo with TH DI Pumice Stone and for the BEAUTY, I used Nick Bantock's Prussian Blue, embossing it with UTEE several times to give it some stability. I finished my card with a vintage garter that has hand dyed silk trim in the trigger colors.

This challenge took me way back to my paperdoll days as I loved playing with the ones you could find in the magazines. The Christmas I was 8, Santa brought me the Betsy McCall Fashion Designer. It had a light box that allowed you to trace patterns with colored pencils. A few years ago, I found one in the original box on the 'bay and asked if my husband would give that to me as a gift. It was pure joy when the box arrived and for the tiniest bit of time, I was right back there, Christmas 1961!!! And hopefully one day, I'll have granddaughters to share my love of paper dolls. I get the Fashion Designer out and maybe we'll do BLUE. How about you, did you like playing dress-up as a girl or have a favorite doll. I'd love to hear your stories.










19 comments:

Sabrina said...

Oh, I definitely noticed the texture on the top of the dress - I think it was the first thing that caught my eye. I love the idea of using vellum for the slip, too.
I so wish I knew what had happened to my paper dolls. They came from old London Illustrated News magazines, and were the most wonderful array of historical garments for men and women going right back to Tudor and mediaeval times through to the thirties and forties. All black and white, but then your imagination could colour them any way you felt like. How lovely that you were able to find your Fashion Designer and recapture those memories.
Loved dressing up, too - we had a big steamer trunk full of lovely stuff.

~amy~ said...

Susan....I LOVE this....you nailed the MFW challenge...such a inspirational card...really should be framed...happy saturday!

Karen B. said...

I think you too, nailed the TT! What a wonderful symbolic piece that makes such a statement! Beautifully designed.

Sylvia said...

Your card is lovely! I especially love the embossing on the blue dress!

Lone Pine Designs said...

I love your take on the trigger...your card is a beauty!

Joanne (jojot) said...

totally sassy and fun.....fab texture on the bodice of the dress

Bonnie said...

This is very cool! Love the three women in various states of dress - very original!!

SmilynStef said...

We're celebrating fashion this month at Gingersnap Creations ... check it out ... fantastic inspired design.

Emily Keaton said...

Your Tuesday Trigger-inspired card is FABULOUS!! Wow, you really hit the nail right on the head and put so much wonderful thought into this ultra cool card. I LOVED playing dress up as a girl. My mom had this box of 50s and 60s styles that she wore and we had a ton of vintage hats from my grandma. And with scarves and old high heels, we had a blast putting together fabulous outfits. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

Monika Reeck said...

this is really FUNTASTIC wooow I love your cool design and the color and also the wood under the ladies...it is really great interpretation from trigger...good luck with the challenge and many thanks for being so nice commenting to my shoe card :) (I have many shoe card if you see my last week cards dear) hugs, Monika

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Susan! What a "deep" approach to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! Thanks so much for playing along! :)

Kelly S. said...

Susan AGAIN, squee! This card is so stunning! The shade of blue is just so beautiful, and perfect matches the Tuesday Trigger photo! I love the texture on the dress, and the beautiful embellishing...WOWZA you are on a ROLL! HUGS!

La Vikinga said...

Very different approach; love the way you made clothes for the dolls and even texture on the "fabric"!!!

Charlotta

Stella said...

Congrats on your win; you deserved it. You card is stunning!

Jennifer aka Scrappin' Aggie said...

Wow, Wow, Wow! Stunning! Congrats!

Linda Beeson said...

Wow! Not only is this wonderfully neat but it is the perfect take on the Tuesday Trigger.

jen said...

What a great take on the trigger!! Congrats on the shout-out! :)

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Susan...this card is FABULOUS in sooooo many ways! congrats! :)

Lovely Linda said...

Wahoo Susan - congratulations on your Moxie Fab World won with this card - and no wonder - it is stunning! I love you images and as always, your attention to detail! Totally gorgeous! {{{hugs}}}