1/4/09

pearl[s] of wisdom


Happy New Years, dear readers, I pray your new year will be filled with blessings of health and happiness.  I know I am looking forward to what life brings and the opportunities I will seize!

Today's challenge over on SCS is the Featured Stamper.  It is a day to recognize one stamper by perusing their gallery and creating a card in honor of the FS.  For the first challenge of 2009, it's none other than HER Royal Rubberness, Julie Ebersole!  Here is my card based on one you can find in this link.  

 I am reading a delightful book called, Path of the Pearl, which you can find at Amazon.    I 'happened' upon it at my favorite bookstore last weekend.  I knew there would be words of encouragement within for me.  Little did I know, I would need the words of wisdom contained therein so soon.  I received some disappointing news this week that I know has a deep life lesson within.  We all are such shells on the outside, looking pretty, but if we look inside, would we be truly be happy with what we see?  I know being a girl and not playing sports ( I am of that era when the opportunities for girls was not in sports), I never learned to accept losing gracefully and even really how to face rejection.  But I need to learn that lesson, even at this stage in my life.

Pearls are created as a result of an intrusion, an injury, an irritant.  How the oyster deals with this was of great interest to me.  Fellini said, " All art is autobiographical. The pearl is the oyster's autobiography".  Something so beautiful coming from an injury.  And with me...I will take rejection and let it coat me with a layer of  nacre.  So I can grow and have more depth and be on the inside what I am on the outside.

As the author of the Path of the Pearl writes, "Like the pearl, our splendor is formed of life's obstacles."  How about you?  Can you see the beauty you truly are?

7 comments:

~amy~ said...

Leave it to you to have a perfect oyster shell image...complete with a pearl! I seriously thought of doing the same JulieHRR card but didn't have any of the right images to work with...I'm sorry that you received disappointing news this week...I hope that all is well with you and the family...I went through HUGE road bumps in 2006 which made me that much more stronger...it's true, beauty can come from injury...not that anyone wants to be hurt..feel hurt...we just have to remind ourselves that it makes us stronger.

Anonymous said...

Susan, I'm so glad i stopped in and had the opportunity to read this post. I am struggling with how to deal with failings/rejections of my own, not liking some of my reactions to adversity of late, and this helps remind me that we all hurt, but it is how we deal with the pain that really defines who we are and who we might become. Thanks for sharing, and i wish you the strengh to overcome what is hurting you.
smiles,Deena

Anne Harada said...

Your card is lovely and so meaningful. I loved reading your blog today. I'm sorry for your struggle, character building is over rated IMO!! (Sorry, kidding!) Rejection in any form is never easy; perhaps some learn to behave better when they are faced with it (definitely not me!), but it always hurts our hearts. Praying that God's grace will release you from your pain so the joy and closeness you desire with Him will be your focus once again! {hugs}

Betty Wright said...

Great card, Susan!!!! Sorry about your disappointment this week. It is hard at any age. I always refer to Phil. 3:13. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} to you!!!!!

Julia Aston said...

Thanks for your life lesson Susan - it's one we can all hear - we need to all be a little tougher and go with the ups and downs and be thankful for what is.... you'll snap up and dust yourself off from this one (you already have - right?!?!) and think - in the scheme of things - how important is it??? I love your card girl!!!

nancyruth said...

Oh my friend you write so eloquently and I really needed to hear what yo had to say, I am sorry that you are hurt by this rejection and KNOW it has already made you stronger and wiser.... But let me have at them I will set them straight, how could they not adore you in whatever capacity this was.... ( that is just my loyal inner child acting out, I refer to her as *little nancy* i know you understand it comes from my heart, I will unball my fists now) and send you a cyberhug and thank you for being so unique and special and FULL of pearls of wisdom. Love ya girl! Nancyruth

Jami said...

What a beautiful card Susan. Sorry to hear of your disappointment. One thing I am working on in myself is not reacting to things with disappointment, even though it's often an initial reaction. I know that He has plans for me that I do not know yet, and that everything happens according to them. I have to remind myself to have faith in that when my initial response is hurt...
Sending hugs!
Jami